We are in the final hours before Europe’s elite club competition – the UEFA Champions League 2012/13 kicks-off and it has the potential to be the most open competition since Porto won it in 2004.
Barcelona and Real Madrid are once again the overwhelming favourites, but there are a number of other clubs, aside from the usual candidates, with genuine reason to believe they can be in contention when the tournament reaches its climax in May. Manchester City, Juventus, Zenit St Petersburg, Borussia Dortmund and Paris Saint Germain are five sides who could surprise their European rivals, and have the potential to beat any other club in the field on their day.
In our today’s Picture Special, we have a look at the fifteen top contenders for the Champions League this season..
1. Barcelona (Semi-Finals | Spain)
2. Real Madrid (Semi-Finals | Spain)
3. Manchester United (Group Stage | England)
4. Manchester City (Group Stage | England)
5. Bayern Munich (Final | Germany)
6. Chelsea (Winners | England)
7. Juventus (Did Not Play | Italy)
8. Paris Saint-Germain (Did Not Play | France)
9. Arsenal (Round of 16 | England)
10. AC Milan (Quarter-Finals | Italy)
11. Borussia Dortmund (Group Stage | Germany)
12. FC Porto (Group Stage | Portugal)
13. Valencia (Group Stage | Spain)
14. Zenit St Petersburg (Round Of 16 | Russia)
15. Schalke (Did Not Play | Germany)